Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I am...Hopeful


What an awesome day! I am filled with so many emotions i am almost speachless..watching Barack win literally brought me and millions of others to tears..i pray that men of all colors see him as "something to live up to" ... and appreciate every stepping stone he lays from today forward...let me give u a little background on my perspective...

hopeful-adj-1. Having or manifesting hope. 2. full of promise... Having qualities which excite hope; affording promise of good or of success

where do i begin?..did i think Barack would win?..yes..but i didnt want to jump the gun..because when it comes down to it..elections can change quickly either way...some voted based purely on his race..(tho studies show there wasnt an overwhelming amount of black voters..but who knows)..some voted because they felt he would bring the opposite of what Bush has brought for 8 years...some because they truly felt he is an awesome man and will be a great leader for our country...some just because they felt McCain was such a horrible choice they would go democrat..regardless..he won!

electing the first black president of the united states is about much more than changing history..its about paving new pathways to progress...for those who dont know(because people always assume incorrectly)..i am half white and half puerto rican..born in chicago and moved to lewisville, texas at the age of 5..at this time lewisville was not the retail super city like it is now..it was corn fields and farmers...so take urself back 27 years and remember the mentality of the majority of southerners...i was the dark-skinned outkast with a white mother..i remember once when i was in the grocery store with my mother..someone walked up to us and asked "Where did u find HER?"..like i was from a third world country or something...in my neighborhood i was called the "colored girl" by most...my 4th grade teacher hated me..and told me outright she was goin to find a way to fail me because she didnt like "wetbacks"..in 7th grade i went to a dance with the CUTEST guy..afterwards i went to meet his mom..she pulled me to the side and said.."dont ever talk to my son again..u are the WRONG color for him"..so even tho i wasnt around during the civil rights movement..i have felt the anguish of prejudice first hand..
In my opnion, Barack Obama put the pendulum in motion bringing forth the biggest MOVEMENT of people since MLK, instilling hope and casting an inspiring vision across the globe...

yesterday was so surreal, incomprehensible even...seeing the faces (all colors) so deeply moved by the pure thought that the unthinkable was actually happening...i know i'm not alone in waking up this morning thinking to myself.."everything is gonna be ok"...restoration of hope brings faith, joy and purpose back into waking up and putting your best into each day...i sat down with both the boys this morning just like i did the day Barack was nominated as the democratic candiate...and explained the best i could how important yesterday was..how they can tell their kids, "i remember when.."..and how this election opened the doors for generations to come... and that this is living proof that ANYONE..can grow up to be the President of the United States! Today I am proud to be an American and I AM HOPEFUL!...until next time..

No comments: