Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I AM a CASA...

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to work with kids in the foster care system...hoping one day to open one or more group foster homes...I had been seeking a volunteer position in several different organizations, but wasnt really feeling they "matched" me. By the suggestion of a few of my friends, I applied as a volunteer at CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) of Collin County. 

(As a sidenote..for those of you who don't know what a "CASA" is...it goes a little like this...children are removed everyday from their homes due to abuse or neglect..each child is assigned a CPS caseworker, an Attorney ad Litem and luckily in Collin County each child is assigned a CASA. The CASA serves as the Guardian ad Litem for this child. They advocate on the behalf of the child and their best interests including medical care, educational needs, etc. The CASA makes sure that the child has all their needs met and is as successful as possible while in foster care until they can be reunited with their family or be placed elsewhere in a safe home).

That being said I was thrilled to find something like this to be involved with. Ultimately, since I would like to pursue this line of work as a career..I couldnt be happier to get to help children while gaining first hand experience in my future career field. After intense training, I am proud to report that I will be sworn in by the Judge this week and become an official CASA advocate! Most people think I am crazy. They say, " You mean you are going to do ALL that work and NOT get paid? I dont know how you can do that!"  My response is, " I dont know how you can't?"

As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and a daughter of a foster child, I know this is God's purpose for me. My life experiences are my testimony. They allow me to be able to look a child in the face and know EXACTLY how they feel and understand in my heart how important it is for me to stand up for that child when no one else will. Dont forget...Kids in CPS care could be your neighbor, your child's best friend in school, on the soccer team, your relative..child abuse knows no color, race or gender..it doesn't discriminate..

Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work, trust me...I get it. But I encourage people to find whatever they are passionate about and do something about it. Find your purpose! God didn't plop us on Earth to sleep, work, eat and procreate while having no impact on people. We aren't here for US..we are here to glorify Him in whichever unique way we can. #foodforthought

...until next time...

No comments: